Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Discovering Maharashtrian Cuisine in Pune


No, Maharashtrian cuisine is not that exotic as the above snap suggests. The poster has since been removed. Someone must have seen me click it. But, jokes and snakes apart, it lists at least some of the popular snacks this side of India: Sabudana Wada, Sabudana Khichdi, Poha, Vada Pav, and Misal Pav.

I was lucky to have Vaishali whom I inherited from my landlady when I first moved to Pune. 
Vaishali makes methi parathas
Vaishali pampered me with all manner of Maharashtrian delicacies. We feasted on her bharli vangi or stuffed brinjals. For those who live outside India, Spices of India has a recipe that might be easier to try.

We also drooled over her methi parathas with which she always served a satanic red chutney, dry in texture and crunchy. 

Of course, we can't all have Vaishali at our beck and call and so God created 96K for those who with carnivorous cravings and Shreyas for those of a more herbivorous persuasion.  


A small sample of the 96 K spread

I'm afraid I can't really rave about either place but that's mostly because I have a tiny appetite and bad digestion. With a group of hearty eaters, both places are ideal to introduce an outsider to Maharashtrian cuisine.

However, none of the restaurants provided half the wonders that Vaishali could whip up and I salute that excellent being, the Maharashtrian Bai!

Bai is a marvellous term for woman. All women are Bai. Some Bais can work as maid/cook for other Bais.



No comments: