Monday, August 17, 2020

Fishing For Food under Lockdown

When lockdown hit us, we were grateful to find the three grocery shops in our neighbourhood functional. But, when it came to buying, we refused to think essentials and to hoard. We were more eager to discover snacks and beverages we'd tended to avoid. In the normal course of life, we're not fans of 'soft drinks' nor of biscuits and cakes.  

Among the discoveries were ginger biscuits. 


And a line of fruit drinks with pieces of real fruit in them. 


However, the best find was fish burgers. 


Before the pandemic, we sometimes delighted in Venky's chicken burgers for a burger lunch and a burger at home is much better than the ones we've eaten out.

Sometimes, when I'm in the mood I make the mayonnaise myself but if I don't feel like taking the trouble, it's easy to buy a jar. Still here's a video which more or less shows what I do:

 
During this time of panic and pandemic, somehow many foods seem fresher and taste better. Bakery products have been very fresh and the burger buns divine. 

As for salad vegetables for the burger, I stick to tomatoes and onions. Green chilies from the garden ... but you can go wild with veggies for a burger!

But what is a burger without ketchup? Here, the new kid on the block was Chitale Bandhu's ketchup. Excellent taste and value.

I hear that ice cream sales rose the world over in this time. It's true I've bought more ice cream than before. It was all because of Mother Dairy's Strawberry Crush. We've been through several tubs of it. 


Mango Marvel was a disappointment. 


Every cloud has silver linings and my sincere thanks to all the grocers, the vegetable sellers and all the mainstream and small enterprises for keeping us merry in grim times.